Used lift trucks are growing in popularity because of their economical value. In many applications it is hard to determine between when to purchase a used or new lift truck that will provide optimum value.
When you start your search it is imperative that you do your homework and have a clear understanding of how you intend to use this lift truck. Below are some things to consider when you start your search that will save you time and money in the long run.
- Determine how frequently your lift truck will be used. Used lift trucks are the perfect solution for environments in which it will be used 25 hours or less a week. This breaks down to about 5 hours or less each day, no more than 5 days a week, and in an operation that is not high-throughput. If you plan on using a lift truck more than this it is recommended to investigate purchasing new.
- Determine what type of lift truck is right for you.
- Indoor or outdoor. For indoor use you can choose between an electric or propane lift truck for well-ventilated areas. Some may also consider diesel or gasoline units for outdoor use only.
- Determine load size and weight needed to ensure you get the correct model of lift truck for your application. Typically a 5,000 lb. capacity will meet your needs, however in some cases much larger capacities are required.
- Determine your height and aisle requirements. If your aisles are more than 11 feet wide a standard lift truck should accommodate your needs. A narrow aisle truck is the best option for aisles between 6-10 feet wide.
- Consult OSHA guidelines for your state’s safety regulations. Safety options and attachments are another key factor in choosing the right lift truck.
- Research the company you are considering purchasing from. There are a lot of options in the used truck market.
Make sure you partner with a company that has a good reputation. Find out how long they have been in business, do they have qualified technicians on staff, will they offer a warranty and stand behind it? Choosing the right dealer can be the difference between a good and bad experience.
Used forklifts can be a very economical solution in the right applications. However, it is imperative that you do your homework up front and make sure the purchase will fulfill your needs. By taking these steps you can save yourself a lot of headaches on your next used lift truck purchase.