Wheels and Tires What is the best option for your environment
Wheels and Tires: What is the Best Option for Your Environment?
There are a variety of different warehousing environments that require specific material handling equipment.
There are a number of polyurethane (Poly) wheel manufacturers that offer multiple compounds or Durometers for use on forklifts. This article will provide you with an overview on these compounds to give you a better understanding of what each one means and what purpose they can serve you.
Durometer is the measurement (Shore “A” Hardness scale) of a wheel or tires hardness; the higher the number, the harder the wheel. Additionally, the Color of a wheel actually has no bearing on the durometer of the wheel being utilized. For instance, one manufacturer will make a black colored poly wheel in a 90A durometer and another makes it a 95A.
Here are some common durometers along with their generalized rules of thumb for their proper application.
83-85A: Industry’s most versatile durometers.
Typically the Standard offering by most OEMs, classified as Medium Duty.
- Very good cut, chunk and flat spot resistance
- Softer ride and Improved traction
- Freezer and Cold storage applications
- Good price to performance alternative
- Lowest cost
90-92A: Preferred Tires that are considered Heavy Duty.
- Everyday use on clean smooth floors
- Heavy duty enough to survive moderate dock plate use
- Moderate Resistance to cuts, chunking or flat spotting
- Good Heat resistance
93-95A: High performance/Extreme Duty, premium wheels
- Highest resistance to Flat spotting and chunking
- Highest load capacities
- Extended wheel life
- Designed for long runs due to heat resistance
- Typically a more expensive alternative, but with commensurate results
Please note, as with any new technology, there are now Zero runout tires available. These tires are machined on a lathe to ensure smoothest operation and increased stability at heights. These are typically offered by all leading manufacturers in a premium compound in a variety of durometer offerings.